Hitting my head on the marble walls of Congress

Ugh.


I know everyone's already talking about debt ceilings, deficit, and all of that economic ruckus that'll make one's head spin.  I, however, feel a need to weigh in.

Simply put: It's revenue, stupid.

To frame this personally, I'm on limited income at the moment and without work.  I only have a certain amount of revenue, or money coming in.  I also have a set amount of debt, or money I owe, each month.  I've been running a monthly deficit, or money I'm short, that I know is unsustainable.  I've made spending cuts to my expenditures, or money I spend each month, but I'm still running a deficit.  I know the solution lies in more revenue, but I haven't found a steady source of work to provide it.  Work generates revenue to reinvest in existing expenditures as well as needed projects, or one-time things to spend money on.

I'm oversimplifying for a good reason:  If I, a working-class stiff, can frame my "kitchen table" budget like the Federal Government and come to the conclusion of more cuts not working and needing more revenue, WHY CAN'T THEY!?!?!?!?

There's only two reasons why people in Congress could be against tax increases that I can see:
1. They don't understand how taxes work.
or
2. They are looking out for rich people's money more than everyone else's.

1. There were a lot of new faces elected to Congress in 2010.  It is fairly possible that many of them do not have a good grasp of how the tax system works.  They seem to either forget or not be aware of how using tax dollars to invest in the future of the country might be beneficial to both businesses and individuals.  After all, if the country's not able to function, businesses can't function and they lose money.  If there are better roads, better telecommunications, better electrical systems, and better water, it helps businesses and individuals by increasing the overall quality of life.  That leads to happier people, who usually work harder because they're happy.  It is this pursuit of happiness that in part led to this country's formation.

2.  I could think of Congress being involved more sinister plots behind bankrupting the country, but I honestly can't give them that much credit.  So I think they honestly believe rich people should have all the money.  Why?  It's hard to say for sure.  But signing a pledge to say no tax increases at the behest of rich people and putting said pledge as a higher priority than one's elected duties and responsibilities sounds like treason to me.  And they called liberals traitors during Bush the Second's term for disagreeing with the President then?

Personally, I would call myself a liberal but not ultra-liberal.  I realize the need of pragmatism yet it must be used in a progressive push forward.  At the same time, I'm trying to avoid grouping all right-wing members together because, as it is with the left-wing, no two are exactly alike.  But I must put the blame for the recent economic turmoil almost squarely on the Republican members of Congress.  It is they above all other groups who've caused the bulk of the mess over the last decade by either driving us over the cliff when they had the wheel, being an stubborn back-seat driver when they lost it, or trying to grab the wheel and jerk us back over only to let go just we hit the edge.  I realize that the lack of push from some Congressional Democrats as well as President Obama may have added to the situation, but I see what they've been trying to do as negotiating with irrational positions to a fault.  In an attempt to be bipartisan, the Democrats did not use the leverage they earned in 2006 and 2008 to their advantage and may have hurt the country by this.  In essence, one side is acting like petulant children and the other are the parents who've hit the wall long go on dealing with the children.  President Obama should be Supernanny, but he's been more like the underfunded social worker.

My advice:
Mr. President, time to nut up or shut up.  Some of us who voted for you in 2008 are not entirely enthused about doing it again.  Yes, you've made great progress in a lot of areas, but it won't mean a thing if someone else gets your job in 2012 and undoes it all.  And if you cannot stand up to the crazies on all sides, why are you there?  I see you as playing chess with all of this; it's time to pull your gambit and start mounting an offense.

Congressional Democrats, use what sway you have left to pull this country back onto the track it was on financially in 2000.  Appeal to any sensibilities that any Congressional Republicans may have left, or at least bring up how it may help their re-election if they play it right.

Congressional Republicans........*sigh*..........line up.

*does a running backhand down the row*

Seriously, where are your heads at?!  This is utter insanity and you'd make Jesus cry with your lack of charity and compassion for those you are have a negative effect on.  You know tax breaks for oil companies, corporate jets, and ultra-rich people aren't needed.  It's not a defensible position and the lies that cover the horrible truth won't last.
I realize I'm not an elected official of any type and I don't have all of the information, etc., etc., ad nauseum why I'm not "qualified" to talk on this.  But like I said, if I can see the problem clear as day, I can't be the only one and certainly someone elected to federal office is more qualified than I so they should be able to get it, right?  If not, should they be in office?

Believe me, I could have been a lot more vicious on this, but what's the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try to keep it polite but honest.